Monday, September 29, 2014

[ ⊙ △ ⊙ ] letter project reflection

  1. Describe your process when creating your letter project. How was the process helpful or not so helpful to you? 

    When creating my letter project, I first began to sketch out 25 thumbnails for ideas.  Despite not having so much detail, I was able to map out so many concepts.  This gave me a lot of ideas to choose from.  After the sketches, I chose two designs (a banana arrangement and a simplified skittles arrangement) and created initial drafts for each them.  Usually, this step would be the most helpful to me in creating a design, however, I wanted to photograph it so any experimentation would have to be done in real time, not on paper.  I then decided to use Skittles as my media and bought about $10 worth of Skittles so that I would have more colors to choose from and more Skittles to use (also more to snack on, but nobody has to know).  Taping four sheets of white copy paper together and drawing a backwards S on the back, I arranged my Skittles into a rainbow-like display and then photographed it.  This was the most crucial part of my project since the arrangements affected the outcome of the project directly.  It was also the most helpful since I was able to alter my designs as much as I wanted.  Lastly, I had to edit the picture of my letter on the computer in order to clean it up and bit and make it more presentable.

  2. How did you arrive with your concept/idea for your letter? How did you represent this concept visually in your design? (Give 2 examples) 

    I originally chose the letter S since I loved how there were so many curves in it.  It was basically one of the more non-boring letters to me.  On the other hand, the Skittles concept I decided to go with was pretty much random since I thought of animals, words or food that started with S.  Instead of just photographing a random arrangement of Skittles in an S shape, I wanted to clearly illustrate the slogan of Skittles, which was "Taste the rainbow."  To do this, I created a rainbow pattern with the Skittles in the shape of an S and reversed it at the bottom as well in order to emphasize more on the rainbow aspect.  Not only that, I also tried to represent the Skittles concept by creating a Skittles cloud with the same colors because usually, rainbows are visualized as peeking through clouds in the sky.

  3. What was the most challenging aspect of this project for you? Why?

    The most challenging part of this project was thinking of more ways that would clearly show my concept towards my audience.  At first, I had a different idea, but I had to change it since I couldn't come up with a more effective way to depict the concept.  I settled with the Skittles idea after choosing a more simpler idea, however, I still wanted to challenge myself to take the project further.  And because most of the trial-and error had to be done in person instead of on paper, I had to change my arrangements several times in order to portray my idea clearly.

  4. Are you satisfied with your project? Explain your answer.


    Despite its simplicity, I'm actually satisfied with my project because I spent so much time brainstorming ideas and ways to convey my ideas in addition to actually arranging the Skittles themselves.  I really liked the amount of color there was and I liked being able to create art on a medium I've never explored before.  This exploration into unknown territory gave me the most satisfaction.

  5. If you can change anything about your design, what would you change or do differently?


    Instead of arranging the Skittles into an S, I would create a rainbow-flavored Skittle with a S-shaped empty space in the middle so that it could potentially emphasize the Skittles aspect even more.  I would also play with different sizes for the Skittle in order to put incorporate detail in the design.


    Work in Progress + Final:


First Arrangement
Second Arrangement

Third Arrangement
Final Arrangement

24 comments:

  1. I honestly really like how you did multiple trials in creating an arrangement for your project, it really shows that you were really very thoughtful in the process making of it. It actually really shows in your final because of the nice beautiful final and how the background is very white. It makes your letter very prominent and striking. I think i can learn a lot from you about taking multiple steps when it comes to creating project. ^^

    PS. Give me your skittles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have actually been secretly eating the skittles at home XD I still have the tropical flavored skittles untouched though.

      Delete
  2. You said you originally had two sketches on your concept, one is the arrangement of bananas and the other one is the skittles. How did you decide on the skittles? Why did you choose it over the arrangement of bananas (which was also really nice)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to use the skittles instead since I wanted to experiment with a new medium. I've never worked with photography before and drawing the banana arrangement was nothing out of the ordinary, since I usually like to draw for my art projects.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE your design. Im so pleased with your final because its so good! I love how you played with different designs to see which one you liked better, it shows that you put a lot of effort into your project. I think the fact that you took all those steps shows also how you learned through the process of your design. I just love your final design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everytime I see your project I just want to eat it. Nom nom nom. I like the taste the rainbow concept you have incorporated. I literally want to taste the rainbow now. YAY SKITTLES!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SKY <3 Your project shows the amount of time you spent into the effort of forming your S. I can't believe you spent so much time reorganizing the skittles :O. However, I think your final design was the one that expressed your concept the most ^^. I can see the cloud you made and reversing the rainbow was a smart move :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you c: And thanks again for giving me your opinion for which arrangement I should pick!

      Delete
  6. While doing your project, did you.... "taste the rainbow?"

    Cheering for bad puns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No... (Okay, yes I did but no one has to know.)

      Delete
  7. Love the concept. You have natural talent for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! I would never have thought of using Skittles, or food in general, in this project. Good job thinking outside the box!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! One great thing about using food to create art is that you get to eat it afterwards XD

      Delete
  9. I think your choice to have the pile of skittles piled at the bottom was very smart. It gives it a realistic feel that reminds the viewer about the concept

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought your idea for this was very creative and I think the fact that you took the time to try out different set ups demonstrates a lot of patience and the work that must've gone into this. I love your final and how you switched up the pattern at the end. I think it adds variation and makes it even more visually appealing. I really like how this turned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Pilar! It was a lot of work, especially with the skittles being so small and moving around so much, but I'm really glad I stayed with my idea.

      Delete
  11. I really like this idea. The idea to make an "S" out of skittles makes the idea even more creative. I like that you experimented moving the skittles around to determine what would work best or how you prefer it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There was so much trial-and-error involved ; u ; I'm really glad I finished though.

      Delete
  12. Your design look so awesome! It is so neat and well organized. I like how you flip the color arrangement pattern at the tail of the S to enhance it. It not only make a touch to your final product but it also bring out the design! I just love the food idea because I like food too lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your design is so cool!! I like how you tried different arrangements before choosing the one that you liked the most. I love how you used real food because food is awesome. Also, can I have some of your Skittles.... hahahaha- w -

    ReplyDelete